Driverless cars are the reality now and the sooner you get used to the idea the better off you would be; all that’s missing is a robot in place of the driver. Given the various advances in the field of AI, driverless cars were an inevitable leap that almost all the major automakers had taken. And while the concept does seem great on paper, perhaps it is time that we took a closer look at some of the pros and cons of self-driving cars.
Pros of Self Driving Cars
- Driver fatigue: It is a fact that most road accidents take place because of driver fatigue; but with driverless cars, you can rest assured that there would be less chance of an accident and you would not have to deal with any driver fatigue either.
- Anti-collision technology: While anti-collision technology seems to be the mainstays in most cars, driverless cars take this one step further by utilizing specialized algorithms to correctly calculate the space between it and the car ahead. Furthermore, using such cars can prevent accidents altogether or that you would not be initiating any in the near future.
- Distraction: Yet another reason for many car accidents to take place often is the fact that human drivers get easily distracted and are often preoccupied answering their cell phones, talking to others or even messaging their friends. As a result, many an accident takes place and that’s why you may want to opt for a driverless car as it is more secure and you can be sure that the computer in charge is not going to get distracted by anything that you may have to say or for that matter, by anyone else in the car.
- Increase productivity: Since you would not be driving the car, you can resume your work while making your way to your office. You can concentrate on your work or carry out other tasks as you are on the way and this should help make you more productive than before. Imagine being able to relax in the back seat of the car as the driverless car takes you to work, and you can work comfortably knowing that you are in safe hands and that the computer-driven car will take you to work safe and sound.
Cons of Self-driving Cars
- Expensive: Currently, even rudimentary application of self-driving tech is bound to be expensive which is why it is being offered with some of the premium cars and top trims. And the one that’s currently being offered is along the lines of adaptive cruising and not a totally autonomous self-driving vehicle. Such a vehicle will require a range of sensors and various AI applications and programs to be integrated with the vehicle and naturally, it will come with a hefty price tag as well.
- Security: With every technological leap, it seems that there is a hacker out there who can take advantage of a flaw or two. So chances are that any self-driving cars would equally be susceptible to hacking.
- Job loss: If self-driving cars became the norm and the same tech was adopted across the entire transportation industry, it can lead to massive job losses.
- Tech issues: With every tech product that gets manufactured, there’s bound to be more than a few flaws. Chances are that self-driving cars will have a few as well though and issues can crop up anytime as you ride one. So are you 100% sure that you want to ride in a self-driving car soon?
These are some of the pros and cons of self-driving cars and with this information, you should be able t make an informed decision on the same.